In 1910, two brothers, Elmer and Kazimer Steuernol, started a business together selling furniture along with an undertaking business in downtown West Branch. On July 1, 1984 Steuernol Funeral Home, Inc. was purchased by Terry R. McLaren and H. Michael Axford. On November 1, 1990, the interests of Michael Axford were purchased by Terry R. McLaren and the business was renamed Steuernol & McLaren Funeral Homes, Inc. The families this business serves live in an area of approximately 60 square miles, making them one of northern Michigan’s largest funeral homes.
The Steuernol & McLaren Funeral Homes Scholarship provides a scholarship to one graduating senior at Roscommon High School who will attend an accredited college, university, trade or vocational school and is a resident of St. Helen.